Diabetes Self-Management Education (DSME) Classes
The Diabetes Self-Management Education Classes at TPMG Nutrition Services is devoted to helping people with diabetes meet the challenge of living successfully with this chronic disease. Our program is a Recognized American Diabetes Association Program that has met the national standards for diabetes patient education. A qualified nurse and certified diabetes educator, certified by the National Certification Board of Diabetes Educators, lead the program. Diabetes Self-Management Education are offered in group sessions and individually.
Our goal is to help people with diabetes live healthier lives now and in the future. Uncontrolled diabetes can cause or lead to blindness, kidney disease, nerve disease, limb amputations, heart disease, and stroke. Through appropriate food intake, physical activity, medications (if needed) and blood glucose monitoring, a person can take charge of diabetes and delay or prevent these devastating complications.
Why attend Diabetes Classes?
You should attend Diabetes Classes if:
- You don’t know how to count carbohydrates
- You are having difficulty losing weight
- Your medications keep increasing
- You only look at sugar on the food labels
- You never check your blood sugar after eating
- You believe that protein and fat are free foods
- You believe there are certain fruits you shouldn’t eat
- You eat according to your blood sugar readings
- You never check your feet
- Your blood pressure and cholesterol are out of control
- You are frustrated, confused and fed up
Topics covered include:
- Food – individual meal plan, carbohydrate and fat control, quick and healthy cooking, dining out, label reading
- Exercise – why, how, when, what kind
- Medications – what they are and what they do
- Monitoring blood glucose levels – meters and pattern management
- Complications – how to delay and/or prevent them
- Living with diabetes – emotions, coping, family and friends
- Behavior change – strategies and plans for change
The Diabetes Self Management Education Classes Schedule
The DSME classes occur every month, for the first 3 Mondays, from 5-8pm, virtually, starting March 1st, 8th, and 15th. The next courses will occur:
- April 5, 2021
- May 3, 2021
- June 7, 2021
- July 12, 2021 (due to Fourth of July holiday)
- August 16, 23, 30 2021
- September (TBD)
- October 4, 2021
- November 1, 2021
- December 6, 2021
To sign up, please call the office at 757-232-8768 or your Primary Care Physician can fax over your referral. Our office manager will call and schedule for you.
TPMG Nutrition Services
At TPMG Nutrition Services, we believe that each patient is unique. Our services are designed to meet your specific diabetes management goals and work with you to develop a plan that fits your lifestyle.
Locations in Newport News, Williamsburg, Chesapeake, and Virginia Beach.